Saturday, May 9, 2015

Preparedness

I'm not old enough to have a real job. I'm not old enough to have graduated college just months before I get married, only to start my real job two weeks after that. I'm just not old enough.

But, looking back, I realized that God sure has prepared me for this job. His blessings are immeasurable.

If you want me to be completely honest, I can trace this whole story of preparing me for this job all the way back to the beginning of my life. But that would take a long time with a lot of pointless side stories. And if you know me at all, you know I like to tell side stories, so I'll spare you all that and only take you back about 4 years ago.

College was a no-brainer option for me. I was going to go to college, earn a teaching degree, and change the world as I shaped the all-too-crazy minds of the future. It was right about my junior year of high school that I decided to become a music teacher and join the amazing ranks of music teachers I had the pleasure of working with in my past.

CHOOSING a college, however, was a completely different endeavor. I'm not one of those people who just knows a lot of random facts about different colleges. I didn't know which schools were the "best music schools to go to" or "the ones with the best sports teams" or even "what college even was." So I literally came to the table with nothing except the desire to learn and to teach. And, as in all instances of my life, I had multitudes of people suddenly full of opinions that needed to be shared with me. I listened, and kind of did my own research.

I mean, sure. I went on college visits (both to get out of school and because I was interested in them), but I didn't really care about where I would end up. I didn't care too much about the audition process. I was kind of nonchalant about the whole thing (which looking back is the definition of my entire college career... I cared A LOT about what I went to school for, not so much about the other stuff like getting nervous for juries or my recital or any of that jazz.) Somehow I ended up with my top two choices: Anderson University in Anderson, Indiana; and Otterbein University in Westerville, Ohio.  (I actually know how I ended up with these schools, but that's not the point of this blog). I was faced with a choice, and after much prayer I decided on Otterbein University. And boy, I'm so glad I did.

Choosing Otterbein meant I was closer to home, which opened up several doors of opportunity for me. Because I was a drivable distance for home, I was brought on as the Accompanist for Bellefontaine's show choir, Les Fons. This group was my family while I was a member, and continued to be my family as I mentored to the students and honed my piano accompaniment skills. Somehow, through the divine plan God had set out, I was able juggle my schedule enough to come home weekly in the Fall Semester to accompany rehearsals and their big show "Cabaret". Had I gone with Anderson University this opportunity would not have come up for me. God is faithful. God is good.

While at Otterbein, I made it a HUGE priority of mine to get into a choir and continue my vocal training. I instantly got hooked on voice lessons, even though it wasn't required of me due to my primary instrument being the saxophone. Choir was a huge part of my life-- I LOVE SINGING-- and so I made sure to continue that in my college career. It was a necessity for me. It worked out for me to be in the top choir and even serve as a section leader for two semesters. God is faithful. God is good.

I can remember my dad and I talking one night while I was home during sophomore year about what I wanted to do post graduation.  He asked me what way I was leaning for teaching (MusicEd can teach Band, Choir, Orchestra, General Music.. basically anything music). Without even questioning, I answered, "If I had to choose right now, I would teach choir at a small school. Maybe one close to home." Now I'm teaching at West Liberty- Salem Local schools-- a small school, close to home. God is faithful. God is good.

Then this West Liberty Job opens up! The whole story is totally a God thing. It wasn't even on my radar as a job position. Then my fiancee, Bethany, was talking to the current director about jobs around the area. Little did I know it would turn into a job for me at the school of my dreams. This school, the administration, the kids, the location.. it all is exactly where I feel comfortable. And it's only because God has prepared me to be exactly where I am. Exactly here.

--
God has prepared me to be where I am today. No, I still don't feel old enough to actually have a job and not be in college. But, God has prepared me to be in this position and has paved the way for me to reach this milestone according to HIS plan. It hasn't failed me yet; I think I'll keep following wherever He leads.

And so it goes..

No comments:

Post a Comment