Saturday, September 27, 2014

Mid-semester Check-in

So.. hello.

Student Teaching is nearing it's half-way point. Which means that I am halfway done with student teaching. Which means I'm halfway through the penultimate step of achieving my dream of becoming a music teacher! (With the ultimate step graduating, of course). Wow. Life is crazy.

Anywho, I thought I would give a mid-semester check in, for those curious (I'll still give it, even for those who aren't curious). If you know me at all, you know I love lists, so prepare yourself.

1. Student teaching is so AWESOME! Wow, I'm presented with such unique and cool opportunities-- I feel so blessed. For example, I got to accompany the Olentangy Orange High School Marching Band to the OSU Skull Session this weekend. I've been to Skull Sessions before, but this time I was on the ground floor, which was WAY cool. Also, I've been able to network with other teachers in the Olentangy School district. I took posters to other elementary schools and met their music teachers. It was nice to get to meet them and get my face out there. I also helped out with the Instrument Fitting night for the 5th graders, so I was able to meet another middle school band director as well as many music representatives from Rettig and Music and Arts.

2. I've learned so much in such a short time. I've learned how I want to do things, and also how I do not want to do things. Not only have I learned a lot about teaching, but I've also learned a ton about myself. Such as the following:


  • I get overwhelmed very easily. When I am given multiple tasks to do, even if they're easy, I get very worked up inside and stress out over them. I think it's because I'm a bit of a perfectionist and want to get them done as best as I can and as quickly as I can. But when I feel like I'm not getting them done quick enough, I get very worked up and disappointed in myself.
  • I get sick kind of easily. In the short 6 weeks I've been student teaching I have missed a 1.5 days of school due to a nasty cold I was fighting. I also ended up in the nurses clinic because I couldn't breath (I'm still working on that one). My cooperating teacher thinks that it's because I care too much and go too hard, which could be the case.
  • I feel most comfortable when I am super prepared. Whenever I get the chance to talk out my lesson with my cooperating teacher the day before, and am therefore able to write out a detailed lesson plan, I feel very confident in my teaching. HOWEVER, I'm getting much better at my teaching on the fly scenario.
  • I'm not very organized. I like to pretend I am, but I'm not. And the real kicker is I have the capabilities and methods of being SUPER organized (almost OVER-Organized), but I never take the time to really put my organization methods into place. I'm working on that; it's actually my challenge from my cooperating teacher.
  • I'm way too hard on myself, which creates a cycle of craziness linked to my first point.\
  • I miss my family more than I could even describe. I've learned that I am a huge family guy. Whenever I talk with my CT (cooperating teacher) about my family, I get choked up because I care about and miss them that much. And it's weird, because generally I see them every Thursday night. But I still miss them.
3. I love band, and am having a great time working in the band world. It has a special place in my heart. HOWEVER, if I had to choose RIGHT NOW, I would say that I would want to work in middle school choir. But, if you've ever listened or read my teaching philosophy, you know that I just love and believe in the power of music as a whole entity, so of course I'll teach wherever God leads me

4. God is my rock and a constant friend. I lean on Him daily to get through each day, because I know I can't get through without Him. I am thankful that He knows my name and hears me when I call. His blessings are always overflowing and the right amount at the same time. 

5. I absolutely despise the SYE projects and TPA that I have to do for my Student Teaching Experience. I see the benefit in both of them, and know they will make me a better teacher and a more well-rounded person; however, I do not like how time consuming and high stakes they feel. They put a lot of pressure on me-- and I wake up every morning feeling nervous because I feel behind in all of it. 

6. I have the best support system in the world. From my cooperating teacher to my supervisor to my friends and family, to my beautiful girlfriend... I am blessed to have people who want to make me a better teacher and a better person.

My Seminar professor said that Student Teaching has a way of bringing out the lessons you need to learn as an individual, even though all of us are experiencing the "same thing." My lessons are to be more organized, to be more thankful, and to continue to improve my teaching craft. All in all, so far student teaching has helped me realize that I chose the perfect career for me and am exactly where I need to be. 

And so it goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment