Sunday, December 18, 2011

Late night thoughts..

"Nobody knows what we're for, only what we're against when we judge the wounded. What if we put down our signs, crossed over the lines, and loved like YOU did?"


Yet again I am finding myself newly convicted by lyrics of a song. Remember that face-plant moment I talked about in one of my previous blogs? Well it happened again.  People out there are "wounded". Not necessarily in the literal sense, although the could be, but I think that what this lyric is implying as "wounded" is the people who are emotionally wounded. These are the ones who are succumbing to the sinful nature and appearing as if they don't care about it. And it seems that a lot of times Christians, especially me, judge people too awfully, and too quickly. 


I know that for me, I oftentimes pass judgment on others just by sight. Instead of getting to know their true story, and simply loving them as Jesus would love, I avoid them and let them continue to go about their lives. Perhaps I would be the only Jesus they see, and I passed up the opportunity because I was uncomfortable, judgmental, rude. 


Can you imagine what a powerful statement it would be for the body of Christ if we stopped worrying about our own comfort and instead went out and fought for what God intended us? What if we stopped judging others, and really did love like God does? Love so much that people RAN into the arms of Jesus. Can you picture the overwhelming results we would receive if we stopped worrying about the standard way of doing things, and instead went out on a limb-guided by Jesus' loving hands- and loved the loveless, the Sinners that the song continues to talk about? Wouldn't it be amazing if we stopped dividing ourselves from the rest of the world, stopped looking down on the world, but instead stepped into the world in order to try and save it, actually "put down our signs, cross over the lines, and love like JESUS did? Christ's love is powerful enough to do that, so why don't we show it?


And furthermore, the song goes on to say "Open our eyes to the world at the END of our pointing fingers." We should stop blaming the world for the sin, as we are sinners too. We're really no different than the sinners we are condemning and judging. The only real difference is the only difference that matters. We have the winning answer! We have Jesus' love and grace! He's on our side! Why not show that to the world? It's so easy to obtain, and we have it!


Anyway- it's my New Years resolution to be Jesus to whomever I encounter. I'm going to try and "be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry," as James 1:19 encourages us to be.


And so it goes...


No one knows what we're for only against when we judge the wounded
What if we put down our signs crossed over the lines and loved like You did

Oh Jesus, friend of sinners
Open our eyes to world at the end of our pointing fingers
Let our hearts be led by mercy
Help us reach with open hearts and open doors
Oh Jesus, friend of sinners, break our hearts for what breaks yours


1 comment: